Various praise/comments/rants about Troy, RPI, PhDs, Macs, and life in general.

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

After that, I think it was the next day, they moved me out of intensive care. I think they had a ward for people recovering from vascular events, like blood clots. They put me on coumadin, which is a blood thinner. It's also used as rat poison. Crazy how stuff like that works, eh? Penicillin = bread mold, coumadin = rat poison... What next?

Anyway, so they kept me at Albany Med. for a few more days, just until the swelling in my leg went down and my anti-clotting blood was at the right level. In case anyone's wondering, that level is called the INR, or Inter-Nationalized Ratio. It has something to do with your platelet levels, which has something to do with clotting. Ask my girlfriend. She goes to Albany Med. graduate school.

So when they had me up and walking around, and my INR was going in the right direction, they let me out. I was to take coumadin for the next six months of my life, and one of the side effects of that is you have a tendency to bruise easier than usual. Oh, and you can't drink alcohol. And you can't eat spinach, but I never liked spinach anyway, so that wasn't so much of a problem.

No comments: