Various praise/comments/rants about Troy, RPI, PhDs, Macs, and life in general.

Tuesday, April 29, 2003

OK. So this is going to be my web journal. It will give you some insight about what it is to be me. So let's kick it off.

My name is Justin. I was born February 3rd, 1980. I've had a 70-year old's worth of medical mishaps -- and I'm not happy about it. I went to South Kingstown High School in Wakefield, Rhode Island. It's pretty good so far as public schools go. I scored a 1400 on my SATs (after three tries!) and bugged the chair of our science department, Mrs. Angelo, to give me a merit-based scholarship, compliments of RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, for those of you who aren't "in the know").

I got in. Made some good friends. Had a good advisor (correction: have a good advisor). Almost made suma cum laude (however it's spelled). But once I got to the point where I knew I couldn't reach it, I just said fuck it. I ended with a 3.84.

But before any of that even happened, the first big event (of many to come, unfortunately) happened to me. See, I was working out at RPI's gym, and being the clutz that I am, I clocked my knee against a workout machine pretty damn hard. Hurt like hell, and stayed that way for nearly a month. I don't remember when that was exactly, but it was definitely before November.

So Turkey day rolled around, and I rolled out of bed... just to find that my leg was swollen up so bad that it hurt to walk... So I called my mom, and asked her for advice on how to cook the turkey. Of course I didn't mention the leg (don't be silly!). So finally, a few hours later, after everyone had come over (and me still in my shorts), Katie (my ex-gf) and Deana (my current gf) convinced me that we need to go to the infirmary. Just to make sure nothing bad was happening...